Wednesday, September 6, 2023

The Female of the Species by Mindy McGinnis

The Female of the SpeciesThe last paragraph is one big spoiler, so avoid it if you haven’t read the book.

I am honestly not sure how I feel about this one. I feel like it shows a more realistic side to the female teenage experience, but it also shows a stereotypical teenage experience. The kind of experience you might have had if you were living in small town America but isn’t actually found in most of the country. Or at least not anymore or in my experience. I could be wrong. My experience definitely wasn’t anywhere neat this, but I’m also far from typical so… I don’t know.

The Female of the Species was alright. It wasn’t hard to get through and the characters were engaging enough. I’m not a super fan and I don’t really have much to say about the story or the characters that I haven’t already. I feel like it’s a good read for older teens, I guess.

This is where I’m going to talk a bit about the ending, so, ya know, SPOILER WARNING.

Alex dies in the end. I can’t say I’m super surprised. It really stinks of that “well, she murdered people so she has to receive punishment” thing that happens… mostly in horror movies, I guess, to the people who have sex. Whatever, it stuck with me and I can’t say I’m a big fan. Not sure if I needed Alex to have a happy ending, but I was expecting her to be arrested rather than straight up dying so… yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment