Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Madhouse by Rob Thurman

Madhouse (Cal Leandros, #3)

I literally had zero clue as to what was going on in the first chapter. The Black Annis critters apparently ate the Lamia the boys were there to negotiate for… but then where do the fish people come in? What? I’m so confused. Literally just the first chapter and largely not relevant to the rest of the book, but still.

I do love me a universe populated with all sorts of paranormal/mythological/preternatural “critters.” This book does not disappoint in that regard. Madhouse actually leans more into the folklore/legends than the types of “critters,” which I also appreciate. I did look up Sawney’s legend this time around and it’s pretty much what Robin tells Cal and Niko.

That first Sawney fight grabbed me and wouldn’t let go until Niko stepped in. So captivating. Not gonna lie, my brain spaced a lot during the rest of the fight scenes. But that first one… chef’s kiss.

Cal’s coming to grips with actually having more people to care about than just Niko is interesting. I like his relationship with Promise, it’s kinda cute. Robin’s relationship with the boys is also fun. Part brotherly, part fatherly, part dirty-uncle. Dunno what he was thinking with the water nymph, though… that was just silly.

Robin’s whole thing this book is interesting, especially how it turns out. I knew it had something to do with his former god-hood, but I’d completely forgotten what exactly the issue was. I do have to say though, those people are frigging insane to have persisted as long as they did… seriously. I mean… I guess I really shouldn’t be surprised, given how long-lived our religions are, but still… crazy.

Madhouse was, I think, largely a lot of running around. Parts were fun, but I felt like it did meander a bit longer than needed. Altogether, quite good, but definitely not my favorite. 

Favorite Lines

"Demons are everywhere. They're us." - Cal Leandros

"Sunup is not morning. It's hell and not fit for any human being..." - Cal Leandros

No comments:

Post a Comment