Sunday, May 26, 2024

Valdemar Anthologies Batch 1

Boundaries (Tales of Valdemar #15)

Boundaries edited by Mercedes Lackey

My review is broken into pieces following each individual story in the order I read them in. I only read two stories from this anthology.

“The Gift of Twins” by Brenda Cooper: I liked this one alright. Untrained Bard vs Trained Bard. I doubt Lisue was evil, but yeah, definitely had issues, that one.

“Final Consequences” by Elizabeth A. Vaughan: Lady Cera finally has herself all settled, with an heir and a husband. Good finish to a nice little miniseries.
 

 

Sword of Ice (Valdemar Anthologies Book 1)Sword of Ice edited by Mercedes Lackey

My review is broken into pieces following each individual story in the order I read them in. I read 6 stories from this anthology.

“Sword of Ice” by Mercedes Lackey and John Yezeguielian: A pretty basic story of Savil gaining the trust of the Tayledras k’Treva clan. Not really anything deep here.

“Chance” by Mark Shepherd: I guess it was kinda cute. Not the best story but not the worst.

“A Song for No One’s Mourning” by Gary A. Braunbeck: That was… uh… a thing. Very abstract. Not sure how to feel about it.

“In the Forest of Sorrows” by John Helfers: Nice to get another adventure with Van and Yfandes. Also interesting to see how they might manifest in the forest. World-building is always fun.

“…Another Successful Attempt” by Lawrence Schimel: Herald trainee invents Polo and all the people who were butthurt about Kerball being invented in Collegium Chronicles also had a field day with this, I presume.

“Vkandis’ Own” by Ben Ohlander: Meh. Pretty much just a battle and some philosophizing involving Solaris. It was meh.

“The School Up the Hill” by Elisabeth Waters: Cute little story involving a new mage.

No comments:

Post a Comment