Saturday, June 1, 2024

Valdemar Anthologies Batch 7

Moving Targets and Other Tales of Valdemar

Moving Targets and Other Tales of Valdemar edited by Mercedes Lackey

My review is broken into pieces following each individual story in the order I read them in. I read 5 stories from this anthology.

“The Power of Three” by Brenda Cooper: Here we meet Rhiannon and Dionne, twins with different callings but a ridiculously strong bond between them. The story itself was alright, introduced the girls well and showed off some of their power. I’m vaguely more interested in the mage they rescued, but he’s not really the focus here.

“Moving Targets” by Mercedes Lackey and Larry Dixon: Took me a stupidly long time to figure out that this one’s “Scooby Doo.” Like, 20-ish pages. Much shrugging, otherwise.

“A Dream Deferred” by Kristin M. Schwengel: Cute little rescue the kyree story. I enjoyed it.

“Broken Bones” by Stephanie D. Shaver: So, this is the second kind of miniseries where the spelling of characters’ names is off between “installments.” Just thought I’s note it. Interesting little story. 

"I'm too young and precious to die." - Lelia

“Heart, Home, and Hearth” by Sarah A. Hoyt and Kate Paulk: Actually a fairly basic found-family story. It was alright.

 

Crossroads and Other Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar Series Book 3)

Crossroads and Other Tales of Valdemar edited by Mercedes Lackey

My review is broken into pieces following each individual story in the order I read them in. I read 7 stories from this anthology.

“The Blue Coat” by Fiona Patton: Another story of a few people finding Valdemar and a new life therein. I guess it was alright.

"And life is always a pushy series of inevitable events for the shamans, old or young," Trey added.

“The Feast of the Children” by Nancy Asire: I really liked this one. Pretty sure Sunshine would be the first Fire Cat and, if not, at least the first mentioned in the series.

“Landscape of the Imagination” by Mercedes Lackey: I envisioned Nanca’s training space to be rather like the chessboard of Wonderland fame. It was interesting for a kind of holo-deck or Danger Room style place to exist here. Figures that sorcerers with enough time on their hands would do something like that. I kind of like Nanca and I was definitely amused by Warrl’s reaction to being given flight for a short while. Highly amused by his threat to Tarma afterward.

“War Cry” by Michael Longcor: Dunno why, but people pledging themselves to Valdemar makes me tear up. Might also be knowing Sendar’s fate and seeing him again… This one’s also really brutal.

“Safe and Sound” by Stephanie D. Shaver: Kinda cute and kinda heart-wrenching. I teared up.

“Strength and Honor” by Ben Ohlander: Tregaran has a firecat friend. I’m amused by this.

I’m not overly fond of the big ol’ battle in the middle of this, but either end of the story is alright.

"Folly, served judiciously, could be well employed." - Warmaster Cogern


“Horse of Air” by Rosemary Edghill: Alright, if a bit bittersweet.

“A Change of Heart” by Sarah A. Hoyt and Kate Paulk: Neat little look at a “hobgoblin” in The Empire. I enjoyed it.

 

Sun in Glory and Other Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #2)Sun in Glory and Other Tales of Valdemar edited by Mercedes Lackey

My review is broken into pieces following each individual story in the order I read them in. I read four stories from this anthology.

“Errold’s Journey” by Catherine S. McMullen: I was not a fan of this one. It all seemed really rushed and Errold was just too… I dunno… blank but overly cheerful for my tastes. Master Thomas seemed like one of those pompous guys you just wanna smack… but hey, there are big green cats around now, I guess.

“Trance Tower Garrison” by Fiona Patton: This one was pretty enjoyable, if somewhat heartbreaking.

“Rebirth” by Judith Tarr: A small look at the Velgrath afterlife. Elysium-like. I enjoyed it.

“Sun in Glory” by Mercedes Lackey: The story of Talia’s investiture as a Priestess of Vkandis made me tear up a tad.

No comments:

Post a Comment