Saturday, August 3, 2024

Nine Tailed by Jayci Lee

Nine Tailed (Realm of Four Kingdoms, #1)

I was actually surprised how much I enjoyed this. I’m not generally a fan of romance, so that Nine Tailed was billed as one had me thinking I was gonna end up DNFing it. I did not. That said, Sunny and Ethan’s romance is fairly well done. I didn’t feel like it was forced or too much in the forefront.

I did find it distracting when Sunny was distracted by Ethan, though. Had the thought of “is this what non-ace people experience” just about every time it happened. I was glad even Sunny was perturbed by the level to which she was distracted.

There is an abrupt tone shift about 70% of the way through and it’s jarring. The story also grinds to a halt at this point, because politics or something apparently. This is also where the Shinbiin are introduced, which was kind of fun, I guess. It’s pretty much a setup point for the rest of the series, getting us out of the Mortal Realm. I am not going to remember much of the information dumped here, even if I do continue with the series.

But yeah, Nine Tailed was better than I was expecting. Getting a world not steeped in Western mythology was pretty cool.

Favorite Line

"Besides, I wouldn’t mess with the Greeks. Their mythology is part of the US public school curriculum." - Sunny Cho

No comments:

Post a Comment