Monday, August 19, 2024

The Wolf's Eye by Luanne G. Smith

The Wolf's Eye (The Order of the Seven Stars, #2)The Wolf’s Eye is the sort of sequel that gets into the nuts and bolts of how magic in the world it’s set works. It’s not devoid of action, but it’s also not super full of it, either. What there is, is well done. The conflict stems mainly from wanting Petra’s powers and finding a cure for Josef.

I was originally confused when Dimitri, the second vlkodlak, was constantly referred to as “the starshina.” There’s no explanation as to what that means in the book. I had thought it was some other supernatural creature, but a quick google reveal that a starshina was a military rank in some Slavic states. While I appreciate not being spoon-fed everything, an explanation of that would have been nice.

That’s really my only complaint about the book. I may not have been super captivated, but the story held my attention and was entertaining enough. I know, not exactly glowing praise, but… yeah. Solid story. Solid sequel. Not a whole lot to say.

The last thing I’ll discuss is Petra and Josef’s romance. I like that they’re both kind of awkward around each other. They’ve only know each other for maybe a week or two, so this makes sense. They also haven’t had any time alone together, so the slow nature of the romance also makes sense. I buy them as a couple and I appreciate that we, as readers, aren’t slammed over the head with it.

So yes, The Wolf’s Eye is a solid sequel. I’d be content if the story ends up ending here. I’m not sure if this is a duology or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment