Thursday, October 17, 2024

Welsh Fairies by Mhara Starling

Welsh Fairies: A Guide to the Lore, Legends, Denizens & Deities of the Otherworld (Welsh Witchcraft, 2) I really enjoyed learning more about Welsh fairies and their stories. I read this basically on the heels of finishing Kelley Armstrong's Cainsville series, which meant that Gwyn ap Nudd and Arawn were rather fresh in my mind. Reading bits of their actual mythology was honestly really satisfying... as was actually learning how to say their names correctly. I think I referred to the Glossary more than I ever have before, just to solidify the Welsh pronunciations in my head.

Welsh Fairies is definitely a jumping-off-point book. There are some stories included in the text, but this is mostly a discussion of those stories rather than a compendium of them. It's really well written and engaging all the way through.

No comments:

Post a Comment