Wednesday, July 29, 2026

The Night Country by Melissa Albert

The Night Country

The Night Country is honestly not as compelling as The Hazel Wood. It's not bad, but the feeling I had while reading The Hazel Wood just doesn't exist with The Night Country. I think that's as it should be, The Hazel Wood feeling as complete as it did in the end and all. While The Night Country picks up where The Hazel Wood left off, I don't feel like The Night Country is as necessary to the whole story as it would like to think. It was a fun enough romp through the next steps in Alice and Ellery's stories. I did enjoy meeting Sophia and getting her story and the story of The Night Country in universe. I also really loved Edgar and his bookshop. I would like to go to there. I just wasn't as drawn into the world as I was with The Hazel Wood.

I did have a single note as I was reading: "Be sure" always, always that refrain. Every fairytale world. Walk through the door, take the power offered you, be sure. When I said The Hazel Wood has Seanan McGuire vibes, I wasn't expecting the second book to throw "Be Sure" in my face. It's not bad, and McGuire doesn't have the rights or whatever to the phrase, but damn.

But yeah... The Night Country had some enjoyable bits. The characters from The Hinterland are, ya know, a mixed bag of weird and wonderfully creepy. I hope to get to know some of them better when I read Tales From the Hinterland. But for now they're just set-dressing in Alice's story.

Favorite Lines

"If you poke around too long in the dark, you've only got yourself to blame for what you find." - Alice Prosperpine

"A book is always a door." - Iolanthe 

 

 The Boy Who Didn't Come Home

The Boy Who Didn't Come Home (The Hazel Wood #1.5)I was expecting and Ellery Finch post-The Hazel Wood story. This is not that. This is his story during The Hazel Wood. It has the same feel I was missing in The Night Country. I definitely enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment