Wednesday, August 19, 2026

At the Dark End of the Street by Danielle L. McGuire

At the Dark End of the Street: Black Women, Rape, and Resistance--A New History of the Civil Rights Movement from Rosa Parks to the Rise of Black Power

I honestly had a hard time staying focused while reading At the Dark End of the Street. I'm not used to reading nonfiction books and really do better with ones that stick to a single narrative thread rather than one with several, as this is. In addition, the popping out from the narrative being told to round out the historical setting and tell other, smaller narratives was distracting to me. That's all structure-related and doesn't actually reflect badly on the subject matter, which I actually believe is extremely important. At the Dark End of the Street highlights a part of history that is largely swept over for most Americans. I know The Civil Rights Movement was barely covered in any of my High School History classes. We learned the names of Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King Jr. and I'd heard of Malcolm X, but that was pretty much it. Also the time span over which The Civil Rights Movement actually happened is glossed over, so I think this is really the first time I really internalized just how long this shit took and is, in a lot of ways, still taking. At the Dark End of the Street really highlighted all that for me, so I truly thank Ms. McGuire for that.

I found a lot of the content both shocking and unsurprising at the same time. We see a lot of the same shit repeating itself in 2026, just with a different set of non-White people, and hell, with the same set in some cases. Definitely highlighted here was the police brutality that went on. The police have been on power-trips for a long, long time and it's gross. They also seem to be getting away with a lot of the same sort of crimes, too. Definitely not a good look.

I wrote in my notes about the Montgomery Bus Boycott and how it was brushed over in my schooling. I definitely heard about it, but didn't actually learn about it before now. I read about this stuff as an adult and am repeatedly reminded how schooling in the US is just so, so inadequate. We focus on the Revolutionary heroes and maybe a bit more on World War II (thought clearly not enough with the way this country is going at the moment). But the more recent history? Not a damn word.

It is absolutely hilarious (in a very not hilarious way) how White Supremacist men are all fear-monger-y about Black men going after White women and yet have no problem kidnapping and raping Black women. Seriously, wtf, you POS. The cognitive dissonance is astounding.

Somehow surprised and yet not, given how states were about abortion laws before Roe v. Wade was overturned, to learn states also passed laws to nullify Brown v. Board of Education. All of this stuff just makes me shake my head in “wtf are we doing?” and “don’t we have better things to be legislating about?” Ugh.

I’m sorry… “interracial incubi”? And “Armageddon [was] just around the corner.” Because… wtf. I know this shit was deadly serious in the moment, but the lengths White Supremacists went to in their own heads and in real life in order to degrade and stop Black people from voting or from interracial marriage is a fucking joke. So very unserious. And yes, I know the lens I’m looking at it through is as a 30-something white woman in 2026, where some of this shit is still rearing or re-rearing its ugly head… still. So. Fucking. Stupid. Racism is very fucking stupid. The obsession with sex by all of these "morally upstanding" people is also very fucking stupid.

So yeah... I really do appreciate At the Dark End of the Street for teaching me more about a part of history the US just wants to sweep under the rug. I sincerely hope that more people pick up this book and take the messaging to heart. We need to do better and keep moving forward... all I've got is platitudes at this point. Well, that and Listen to Women damnit.

Quotes that Stuck Out

My commentary in blue 

"For surely those who perpetuate these ugly prejudices here are seeking to destroy our democratic form of government just as surely as the Axis forces." - Courier reader 

"This of course will be very bad for the war effort," he argued, "for it is senseless to fight fascism abroad is fascisitc influences are to be protected here at home." - Charles S. Seely 

"Blacks in Montgomery knew better. The city's police force had a reputation for physical and sexual violence. Police brutality plagues the black community." - Narration
     Like I've said, not a great look, historically, for police forces, even if this is specifically referencing Montgomery, Alabama. - Me

 

"Whether that had been a white girl involved or a colored girl, a jury is very reluctant to pass a death sentence or life imprisonment for that charge upon a man" - Mayes McGehee
     I think it's gross how White Men have been getting away with lesser sentences for rape since, ya know, forever. Pisses me off, quite frankly. - Me

"there is no human being on the face of the earth" who had the right to violate or abuse another person, "no matter who you are or where you think you come from or whatever possession or control you have," - Jerry Paul 

 

In Other News

Well, now that I've finished with the heavy subject matter we can move on to a little levity. I finished my Impmon Project over on OviPets. Based on the Digimon of the same name. Tattoos on the face and stomach were done by me in GIMP. Impmon took me approximately 11 months to complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment