Monday, September 21, 2026

House of Many Ways by Diana Wynne Jones

House of Many Ways (Howl's Moving Castle, #3)House of Many Ways is a mostly cozy fantasy with what I feel is a ridiculously rushed ending. It was charming enough with a lot of moving parts that were solved via deus ex Calcifer and hurried explanations right at the end. Sorry to spoil it a bit, but... ehhhhh. I'm left quite bewildered and in a state of "wtf did I just read?" by that ending.

I quite like the idea of a crazy wizard house that takes certain actions to get around. Reminds me very much of Morwen's doors in The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede. That part, I had little problem with. Charmain's magic seems very like Sophie's. Also, not a problem. The kobolds were semi-interesting. The whole lubbok and lubbokin bits... eh. Not a fan. Seem to be there because we apparently needed some over-arching reason for Howl and Sophie to be around. I feel like there could have possibly been a plot with much lower stakes that would have fit just as well... revolving around the actual House, but here we are.

As a side note... I hate Charmain's mother. Coddled Charmain into being an almost helpless person. Can't cook, can't clean... lucky the girl can read and write because really... just ugh. I also hated Twinkle's lisp as much as Sophie did. I was annoyed at it the entire time.

But yeah... I really feel like I may have properly enjoyed House of Many Ways had I read it at a younger age. A good chunk of the world-building around the House was quite nice. I feel the kind of rushed and perfectly bow-tied ending is a Diana Wynne Jones thing I don't really enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment