I quite enjoyed Daja’s Book. I always enjoy world-building and this book has it in spades. We get a good look at differing parts of the physical world and the Trader culture.Speaking of, something I didn’t talk about while reviewing Sandry’s Book was my feelings about how the Traders treated Daja. What do you mean you’re literally kicking a child out of society for surviving a ship wreck? The fuck is wrong with you people. Niko was mad about it, too. It’s also lucky he was there to take her. That whole thing was just fucked up and still is. Polyam admits as much, during the forest fire crisis.
I also enjoyed the expansion and subsequent calling back of the Circle’s power sets. I always think it’s nice when there are actual consequences that have to be dealt with rather than just hand-waved away. There’s also a lot of mental/magical traveling happening that was neat. The interconnectedness of the Circle’s powers versus the more rigid academic style magic was also interesting. I felt like Yarrun’s issues were somewhat on par with Climate Change deniers. The experts in an area other than your own are telling you there are going to be issues, but you ignore them because your own hubris and singular experiences are telling you otherwise… it’s rather prescient.
So yeah, Daja’s Book is a very solid entry. I very much enjoyed it.
No comments:
Post a Comment