Thursday, August 10, 2023

Bone Crossed by Patricia Briggs

Bone Crossed (Mercy Thompson, #4)

A Spoilery Reread Review

I said at the end of my Iron Kissed review that I didn’t know if Mercy got some more time to deal with her trauma and I am very happy to report that not only does Bone Crossed start off in the same moment Iron Kissed left off, but Adam is #1 awesome dude about Mercy’s trauma. No pressure on her to put out. A+ Adam. This is part of why he’s in the top 5 of my favorite werewolf Alphas.

Not that I am particularly happy that Mercy’s having panic attacks and such, but I am glad she didn’t bounce right back to being okay. The trauma she went through in Iron Kissed isn’t something you just get over so I’m glad she’s having to deal with the aftermath… from a Doyle-ist kind of perspective. I’m also very happy she and Adam tend to talk about their “secrets” and shit instead of just letting it fester and make them angry with each other. That kind of drama, I hate with a fiery passion.

Bone Crossed was interesting. The antagonist doesn’t really come fully into play until late in the book, which is fine. I suppose Mercy’s got enough on her plate with panic attacks and Marsilia stirring up shit. Blackwood was just kind of lurking in the background most of the time.

I love this version of Baba Yaga. Seeing each author bring the more famous mythical beings to life is fun for me. I also quite like the idea that since the government doesn’t actually have a fae classification system that the fae can just make up whatever. Kind of hilarious. Them governments, never quite knowing what to do in the face of new-to-them shit.

I liked Bone Crossed. I felt there was a lot of good world-building, which I like. I’m interested to see how Mercy takes to being the Alpha female of the Columbia Basin Pack and how she’ll continue to grow into her powers.

Favorite Lines

"But you can't marry someone to fix him, even if you love them." - Mercy Thompson

"One of the oddest thing about being grown-up was looking back at something you thought you knew and finding out the truth of it was completely different from what you had always believed." - Mercy Thompson

"Hostage-holding is for the bad guys." - Mercy Thompson

 

In Other News


GoodReads actually counted Brightly Burning and Bone Crossed twice... which it does sometimes when your previous "Read" dates aren't filled in and you report you've finished a book via the app... le sigh. But I upped my reading goal before I checked on that... which is fine cuz it actually turns out I thought I read Brightly Burning before, but I didn't, actually. Much shrugging. 12 more books to hit the new goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment