Saturday, July 13, 2024

Sabriel by Garth Nix

Sabriel (Abhorsen,  #1)

I frigging love Sabriel. From first to last, Sabriel picks you up and sweeps you along a wonderful adventure. Garth Nix is very, very good a building and keeping tension as well as building some really memorable moments in between. I think of Sabriel and am immediately transported to Holehallow, the Reservoir, and Wyverly College at the end.

My only really big gripe: WTF is up with Sabriel’s weird belt buckle on the cover? What is the point of the face? Who is that supposed to be? Why is that the most prominent feature? Why is it so important to be on the spine? Pretty sure it’s not important at all in the book.

It’s interesting to see how the Abhorsen mythology has changed from this first book to the later and prequel books. Abhorsen is described as a necromancer, only the opposite, and apparently not well known as The Abhorsen was earlier in the timeline… assuming you read it chronologically.

I really like this iteration of Magical World Butting Up Against “Real World.” There’s a nice kind of blend that happens for a bit, without much bleed-through. I do kind of wonder if the Old Kingdom or Ancelstierre would have encroached more on each other had The Wall not been built. And which one would “win” ultimately… or if they’d just kind of mix or something. This is a little bit explained, but only a little bit.

I know Mogget is ultimately an “evil” creature, but boy is he entertaining. Reminds me of Spike from Buffy, if Spike were a cat. Oh, and he gets high off catbalm for a hot minute there. I think this is the first time I’ve ever encountered a cat companion getting high “on screen.” I’m not even sure that he is evil, exactly, just really, really intent on getting revenge on the Abhorsens for binding him… maybe.

I do still feel like the Sabriel/Touchstone romance is rushed. I’d forgotten they spent at least a week together at sea on the way to Belisare, but… still feels rushed and kind of blah, to be honest.

Anyway, Sabriel is pretty awesome. I highly recommend checking it out for yourself.

My 2017 Review - it's short

Favorite Lines

"Fear and realization of ignorance were strong medicines against stupid pride." - Narration

"Feeling like a shambling, blanket-shrouded excuse for a human being," - Just a vibe


No comments:

Post a Comment