Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Valdemar Anthologies Batch 4

Tempest (Tales of Valdemar, #10)

Tempest edited by Mercedes Lackey

My review is broken into pieces following each individual story in the order I read them in. I read 6 stories from this anthology.

“The Apprentice and the Stable Master” by Brenda Cooper: So, might be because I’m reading the Rhiannon and Dionne stories all at once, but… it really seems like Cooper’s fond of putting her female characters in situations with brutal men to instantly incur sympathy. We’re pretty instantly ingratiated to Marala and Kris due to Lord Daving’s habit of having his servants beaten. It’s really not a bad little story, just, ya know, I’m noticing a trend.

“Unimagined Consequences” by Elizabeth A. Vaughan: A semi-cute continuation of Lady Cera’s adventures at Stonebriar.

“Dawn of a New Age” by Dylan Birtolo: This was alright. Bassyl isn’t at all in the center of things, so we don’t actually get to see Vkandis choose Solaris, but yeah. Just alright.

“Harmless as Serpents” by Rosemary Edghill and Rebecca Fox: Interesting to get a story from a Companion’s POV. So… other than that, I guess that was interesting. I’m not entirely sure how they all ended up in Iftel, of all places, but okay. Literally looked at the map and was like “What? How? How? Hokay.”

“Feathers in Flight” by Jennifer Brozek: Kinda cute. Hadara and Kitha getting used to each other and their abilities together.

“A Tangle of Truths” by Angela Penrose: Interesting little tale of intrigue.
 

 

Crucible (Tales of Valdemar, #9)Crucible edited by Mercedes Lackey

My review is broken into pieces following each individual story in the order I read them in. I read four stories from this anthology.

“Vexed Vixen” by Mercedes Lackey: Pretty enjoyable. Vixen is really clever with the use of her abilities.

“Unresolved Consequences” by Elizabeth A. Vaughan: Basically Lady Cera’s still working through getting her lands all in order and has a triggering experience.

“Feathers in Need” by Jennifer Brozek: I think I like Hadara and Kitha. This beginning of their story was good, at least.

“Ghosts of the Past” by Angela Penrose: This one was neat. Love me some supernatural stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment