Thursday, September 10, 2026

Sucker Punch by Laurell K. Hamilton - 2026 Reread

Sucker Punch (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #27)

Oh... good... lord... this book is a slog. I hate it, so, so much. I hate it so much that having to reread it for completionist sake made me skip Serpentine on accident. Sucker Punch's looming reread just took up all my headspace. The funny thing is, I did not actually remember it as being so much of a slog. I was just remembering how much Olaf was front and center and how much I fucking hate him.

Seriously, the amount of "No" Anita should have come out swinging with in Olaf's direction is staggering. But instead we're still humoring the SOB and making other people humor him in conjunction. Anita and Edward need to just kill him already. I'm tired of knowing Anita has absolutely zero interest in actually sleeping with him and her also entertaining the idea of a relationship with him. Should have kept that shit at a professional level if you have to have any kind of relationship at all. I'm firmly of the belief that this whole leading him on bullshit is going to spectacularly backfire at some point in the future. It really is leading him on at this point and, as I'm fairly certain Olaf has maintained, women leading men on is one of the reasons he hates them so much.

Other than Olaf's mere presence, the actual slogging part of the book is how many times Newman and Anita have to explain, often to the same characters, why Newman is refusing to "do his duty" and kill Bobby. Over and over and over. Same argument. Every time. Introduce or add a character: "Why haven't you done your duty yet, Win?" I started skipping the conversations after the second time. Skipped a good portion of this book, actually. I would have DNF'd this reread if I hadn't been waiting on another book to be shipped to me.

Last thing, just to reiterate what I said in my first read review: The mystery part of Sucker Punch was incredibly convoluted. The fact that it was largely side-lined did not help. Every single side character from this little town is on my shit-list. They are all unlikable to say the least. Duke is probably the worst and that's only because Muriel and Jocelyn are barely there. Just... ugh.

You can read my first review HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment