Thursday, September 3, 2026

The Kaiju Preservation Society by John Scalzi

The Kaiju Preservation Society

Absolutely delightful. I loved it so, so much. Relatively low stakes, just shy of cozy, I would say, assuming your cozy includes the occasional little adventure. This was just the right blend of realism and sci-fi.

I will say, I was expecting more description of the Kaiju and their parasites, though I guess ultimately my brain would not have done them justice. A rough sketch is good enough, I think. I feel like, unless you’ve actually got a visual, description just won’t do what’s in your head justice. It’s the whole movie monster thing: scarier when you haven’t seen it.

I also really liked Jamie and her friends. Even frigging Sanders had his moments. Scalzi’s character work was quite good.

The Kaiju Preservation Society is honestly one of those books I didn’t have any deep thoughts about. It was fun. It was mostly light. I definitely recommend giving it a read. 

 

Favorite Lines

"I like land," I said. "I don't drown there." - Jamie Gray

"No, they don't. They have shredded orange and white sadness that mocks cheese and everything it stands for." - Jame Gray

"Angrily consume your bacon on the toilet, is my advice." - Dr. Lee 

No comments:

Post a Comment